Monday, September 15, 2008

SPANISH 101

We were doing our night-time reading routine when a new book was slipped into the pile for Mom to bring to life. A riveting tale, filled with adventure and intrigue. A nose-less, strange-voiced character is having a sleepover with a very happy and energetic monkey. Oh I know it sounds an awful lot like a Michael Jackson biography, but it was only Good Night Dora!

As Dora and Boots make their way to Dora's house, they encounter many little animal friends that they must say good night to...in Spanish! Why oh why does Dora have to be Spanish?! Hmmm? I'm trying to introduce as much French as I can into their little minds, early, and yet I find I'm bombarded by a spanish speaking, funny haired character more...

Well, to do the book justice and to give my kids the biggest giggle of their lives, I donned my thickest Spanish accent and set out on the page-turning journey:
Good night, birds! Buenas noches, pajaros!
Good night, bees! Buenas noches, abejas!
Good night, snakes! Buenas noches, culebras!
Good night, frogs! Buenas noches, ranas!
Good night, owl! Buenas noches, lechuza!

We came to the end and thinking I had done an excellent job of teaching them this new phrase, I whispered to Rylee, "how would you say good-night Mommy?"

In her finest accent, she leans over to me, starts to laugh and says "buenas NACHOS, Mom!"

2 comments:

PennyWolfe said...

Nachos! What a kid!!

Unknown said...

Nachos...now thats my kind of spanish... :)