Friday, September 19, 2008

I HAD A MOMENT!!

....more of an out-of-body experience really. It happened right after Ry's shower and I had finished unwrapping all the saran wrap off of her cast. She was silently standing in front of me looking at herself, then at me, in the mirror...I was blowdrying her long, black, shiny hair. Each time I ran my fingers through her hair, I was just overcome. I was wondering who would have done these motherly things for her if she hadn't become our daughter. Would someone have cared that her hair was even clean? Would someone have bought fancy ponytail holders, just for her? Would there have been someone who gently brushed the tangles? Who...?

It's always moments like these when I am reminded of how precious this child's life is...and that I have been chosen to protect, care for, and love her.....forever!

2 comments:

PennyWolfe said...

Ah Cath...that's so touching. I look at Lucy the same way sometimes. Just looking at her swells my heart and brings tears to my eyes. Those that aren't mothers will never know...and motherhood has nothing to do with biology!

Unknown said...

you and Penny are seriously trying to make an emotional wreck of me today....

its funny to watch them when they get older and start to take on my characteristics and know that its more of a nurture over nature thing...

the way that Lili cracks me up with her sarcastic one-liners---not that I ever do that...(that must be Rob)

or the way that Myah gets a certain look on her face when trying to figure something out...and I am looking back at her with the same look...

I just couldnt imagine anything different...ok, maybe the "few" temper tantrums....