Sunday, June 29, 2008

OUT AND ABOUT WITH RYLEE

Yesterday, as soon as I put Little Piddle down for her nap, I took Her Highness out to run some errands. This is highly unusual for me!! You see, Rylee is high-maintenance to say the least when she's out and about. It's exhausting having to repeat all the rules of conduct at every stop, keep an eagle eye on her the whole time and try to get all the jobs done too! Then of course there's the screaming fits that occur if/when something doesn't go to plan...yes, Autism can be fun! Anyway, off to the Post Office where she did an amazing job listening to her Mom. As Rylee was fixated on the heating/cooling vents in the ceiling, chatting to me about what it looks like, where the air goes etc., this other Mom with little girl in tow come onto the scene. I notice something...other kids are fascinated by my Rylee. She's....unique! Because she looks at the world in a different way, kids want to know what she sees...and more importantly, what they possibly could be missing out on.

I'm sure the little girl's internal dialogue was something like this: What's that kid looking at? What's up there? Mom stop, I think there's something up there that we should see too!!

Of course the Mom's internal dialogue was something like: What am I going to cook for supper? Did I let the dog out? Do these new pants make me look fat? Come on Suzie, I've got 8 more stops to make, let's go!

I also noticed that a lot of Moms don't talk with their kids during an outing. I'm in constant chatter mode with both of my kids....I probably learned it as a coping technique to keep Rylee engaged so she wouldn't have a tantrum.


Then it was off to the pharmacy and finally to the grocery store. Ry was a little wound up by this time and while we were waiting at the deli, she breaks out into a little dance and starts to sing a little ditty. An old man is waiting there with us and he smiles and nods several times as he watches her. I finally say "she has a lot of energy to burn". He nods again! Rylee did great at the store and as we're about to go through the check-out...who's in front of us, but the old man again! Rylee's still a bundle of wiggles. He turns to me and with a very thick German accent says "My granddaughter is just like that...I'm always happy to see her go home". lol I bought Rylee a treat after that...


We get home and she stuffs an awful amount of crackers into her mouth...chewing happily, yes still wiggling...when she goes to say something to Big Daddy. He reminds her that isn't nice to talk with her mouth full. So what does she do? In true Rylee fashion, she spits out the entire wad of gooeyness into her little hand then continues on with her conversation!!! Yah gotta love it! Big Daddy says he will be more specific next time! lol
Her Highness at the beach last week:


1 comment:

PennyWolfe said...

Too funny....I'm the same way always talking to the girls in the grocery store. I mean, they are there, in the cart, right in your face...how do you push the cart through the whole store and not engage in conversation? I've never understood that. One of my favourite trips to the grocery store was pre-Lisa. Lucy was too big too put in the buggy so she walked behind me. To ensure I knew she was there the whole time, she quacked like a duck. So, picture me, pushing a cart, chatting to Lucy who is walking behind me, quacking. I'm sure a few people thought she was a little special that day. Oh...and then there's the "act like a pirate" story...I'll tell you that one when I see you LATER THIS WEEK!!!!!