Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Parenting position now available - Moms not need apply.

At what point in time did we as a society start sourcing out the role of Mom? We pay other people to clean our homes, mow the lawn, service our cars, pick up prepared food, walk our dogs. So I guess it seems like a natural progression for a civilized society to then pay others to care for the children. This job should be left to the professionals. No need for Moms to be involved in the day-to-day operations. Moms just aren't qualified! Or so I've been told.

So what prompted this post? Recently, I've been thrust into a world I never knew existed. One that includes Occupational Therapists, Speech/Language Therapists, ECE's, Social Workers, Psychologists and Paediatricians. All working together to better raise my child. "Just leave it to us, Mrs. Hall, we have the qualifications that you don't have. Go and get a real job or at least have a pedicure and leave this to us. Be a good girl and don't question our authority. Believe us, it is best for you and the child." And that's exactly what I did. "Sign here, sign there, Mrs. Hall." They liked me. I was so easy to get along with. Then I came to my senses. One of them being - common sense.

Now there are days when I'm observing these intruders in my family's lives, and I seriously wonder if I'm the only sane person in the room.

Here are some of the things I've learned during the Invasion:

"Believe me, you'll be so happy to see the back of her head as she goes off to school". No, I don't think so.

"She needs a good preschool program so she's prepared for real school and real life. If she needs some extra help, we'll get her a TA for some one-on-one." And she gets what ratio when I homeschool?

"We know what she should learn, how much of it and when." So learning to print her alphabet, finding countries on a globe, knowing all the Provinces, naming the planets, using 100 ASL signs, counting to 40, etc. by the time you're 4 doesn't count? Oh silly me.

"You shouldn't worry about leaving her. Remember, all teachers love what they do and they genuinely love the kids." Uh huh...and how many loving teachers did you encounter going to school?

"4 year olds need time apart from their parents to explore the world." Say what? Maybe on your planet.

"You'll need time with your second child." My Granny handled 9...count 'em 9...and I would be unable to handle 2?

"Parents need to talk to therapists instead of spouses about their feelings ." Ah yes, I can see where it could be detrimental to have a close relationship with my husband.

"I know your daughter spent the first year of her life alone, lying flat on her back in a crib, without any stimulation, never being held, never being loved, just waiting for someone to attend to her basic needs. But she has been here for 3 years so she should be over it." Well, when you do the math....

My sweet girl doesn't need someone who gives in and gives up so easily. She needs...no make that...deserves someone who will look out for her best interest. Someone who will teach her, who will gently guide her, and most importantly, love her!! No, she doesn't need a professional. She needs a Mom....her Mom!!

Climbing down off my soapbox now....class dismissed!

4 comments:

PennyWolfe said...

You go girl!!!

The luckiest mommy in the world said...

There are lots of homeschooling moms in blogland that you could probably relate to more.

Good Luck

Dave & Kris said...

Cath--
I laughed out loud! You betcha!

Do what's right for your family, and don't sweat the "experts" (and return the favor when I get ticked off with all the 'free' advice, OK?)

And congratulations....

Kristen
in Wilmette
DH Dave
DCats Socks and Dot
Waiting for Jenny (LID 12.12.05...will it ever get here?)

Kiy said...

Tell me someone didn't 'really' say ... "she should get over it" ... omg. Seriously. Honey, you go GIRL!

I too had a horrible education. Loving teachers. Um, sure, okay. So I totally hear where you are coming from. Problem is, hubby had a great public school education so he is pro-public schools. We are still working on this issue.

Keep fighting. Ignore the 'talking heads' as we call them. YOU are the mommy and YOU know your children.

/hugs

Kiy