Tuesday, September 15, 2009

JUST ANOTHER ONE

We're in week #2 of our school routine...and it's going pretty well. Ry has been eager to get up and get going...although she did tell me this morning that the day is just too long and she'd like to come home earlier every day. Hmmmm. I have also noticed that the "family unit" isn't coming now for drop-off...it's just the mom or just the dad. Makes for a smaller group but it's still chaotic in that yard.

I gave the nod to one of the Dad's yesterday, whose wife is quite pregnant. I asked if he was getting excited about the new baby coming. This is where my happy mood ended....
He says, "nah, it's just another one." Just what do you say to that statement? Oh I know what I WANTED to say but that just wouldn't be right!!! As I'm imagining a dozen different ways to rip him a new one...I put on my PC face and asked if they knew "what" they were having. He said they didn't know for sure but that it seemed similar to the boys'. When I mentioned no more pink booties, he was adamant that they didn't want any more girls because....wait for it....because they couldn't carry on the family name!!! Geez where have I heard this archaic bull before?!

At this point someone joined the conversation and it turned to sore knees and forklift driving. I hugged Baby J just a little tighter and walked away.....

I don't know if I'm more mad or sad about this latest encounter with another "father of the year".

Just when I think I'm totally "over" not being able to have another baby....no wait that's not right... Just when I think I'm totally "over" the fact that someone deemed us too old to parent another child, I am reminded just how unfair the situation is. Ohhhh I'll cry for the next couple of days and then get "over" it yet again. But always in the back of my mind I wonder where "they" are. You know who I'm talking about....the "they" who checked our health, scrutinized our financial statements, toured our home....all for the "good of the child." Where are "they" when it comes to this unborn child?!?! Where??

3 comments:

PennyWolfe said...

...just another one eh? Wow...someone else having kids because that's what you're "supposed to do" Hope Mom wants the little one more than Daddy does. I don't understand why people don't do what makes them happy as opposed to doing what is expected of them...by family, society, whomever! Whether it's the car you buys, the neighbourhood you live in or your decision to have children. And you're right Cathy...you're not given that choice on whether you can have more children. So his comment stings that much more because you want to and can't. As opposed to Can and don't Want to.

Lesley said...

Wow, if you don't mind me saying...What an ASS! As his comment percolates into my body, I know all too well the struggles that I had when my gyno told me that my diseased uterus HAD to come out. I mourned this loss for 2 years before I even had it removed as I had always wanted more children and by default, this chance was removed. I shutter to think what life this child will have, god-forbid, if it's a girl - how unloved will she feel with such lack of an enthusiastic father. Again I say...What an ASS!

TEAM HALL said...

Lesley: Amen, sister!!! Amen! Now tell me how you really feel! hehehehe